June is an exciting month for Target – it’s when we welcome our summer interns! Read on to learn more about our intern programs from the program owners themselves.
Christen, Field Campus Program Manager, Field Talent Acquisition
Jenna, HQ Internship Program Owner, HQ Campus Talent Acquisition
What internship programs does Target have?
- We have 8 total undergraduate internship programs and 4 total graduate programs across HQ and the Field. The HQ Internship Program spans several businesses including, Target Technology Services, Inventory Management, Space and Presentation, Product Design and Development, Finance and Accounting, and Marketing for undergraduates. The graduate interns span across EDABI, Merchandising, Finance and Supply Chain (HQ and in the Field). For Field-based internships, we have the Stores Executive Internship and Fulfillment Center Operations Internship.
- Who is involved in the planning of an internship program?
- It might be easier to start with who is NOT involved in the internship programs! Running the each program takes a village. With Target being as large as it is, there are several moving parts and key stakeholders. From all the work behind the scenes by our HR generalists, learning and development partners, Target systems and technology experts, and Travel Services team to our frontline teams in Talent Acquisition including our recruiters and HQ and Field managers, mentors and administrative assistants. There are many teams involved in the success of our internship programs. We also partner with other Fortune 500 companies to plan joint internship events across the country. How cool is that? Through these partnerships we also ensure our interns have a place to live, a way to travel, a project, a computer (sometimes two!), access to Target’s systems, access to C-Suite leaders, critical resources…oh, and did I mention fun?! It takes an entire year of planning for a 9, 10 or 14-week program and we take every minute of it seriously because we truly want every intern to succeed.
- How connected is Target to Universities around the country?
- Very! It’s vital in how we secure the amazing talent we do. Whether we’re on campus at a Career Fair, or hosting our own event, we make the most of every campus visit. We love to engage with potential candidates, meet with professors and partner with Career Services teams to ensure Target, the students and the College/University benefits. While we can’t be at every campus (although that would be fun!), we are likely posting job opportunities or sourcing potential candidates from other schools.
- How many interns are joining Target this summer?
- Across HQ and Field, there are roughly 973 total interns joining us in summer 2017. At HQ, we have 185 total interns in 2017 across our HQ graduate and undergraduate internship programs. In the Field, there are 65 total Fulfillment Center undergraduate interns and 723 Stores Executive interns.
- What piece of advice to you have for our interns?
- Go for it. Be curious. Ask questions. Ask lots of questions. Really listen. Learn. Put in the work. Dig in. Drive for results. Take accountability. Get involved. Stay engaged. Remain focused. Make connections. Have fun! Most importantly, be yourself. Embrace who you are and all that you bring to the table. Our hope is that you head back to campus this fall feeling like you’ve made a real impact at Target this summer!
- How can people stay connected to what the interns are up to this summer?
- This blog is a good start! Also, you can follow our hashtags #TGTInterns2017 and #WeAreTarget. For HQ internal team members, we have an HQ Target Interns Community on InsideTGT with additional resources, local events and more!