Now Hiring! Visual Merchandising Leaders
In order to make sure every guest has a great trip every time they make a Target run, we’re constantly testing and innovating. One of the latest innovations is an hourly position in our stores – Visual Merchandising Leader. The goal of the position, straight from CEO Brian Cornell: “To elevate our assortment and shopping experience.”
Wonder what it’s like to spend a day in the life of a Visual Merchandising Leader? Here’s your chance! They’re making things happen in stores across the country, and we spent some time asking them what it’s all about…
What is a day like as a Visual Merchandising Leader?
• My time is split between our home and apparel departments, and depending on the time of year, or merchandise sets we have currently in the store, I will spend my time in the area in need of merchandising attention. Using both my own creativity and sales data, I decide where my time should be spent as well. I love making things crisp and clean, so guests are drawn to beautiful, easy-to-shop areas. It’s fun to apply my knowledge of current trends, areas that need visual attention, and opportunities to drive sales to shape my work every day. Some days, my priorities will change, and have autonomy and freedom to identify what to work on.
• It’s fast paced, guest driven and really thinking outside the box to come up with great ideas to drive sales! Also teaching and developing the team members, and other leaders, to drive sales in all areas of the store.
• I come in and analyze the business, adjust routines to meet the need of the business and merchandise product in a way that inspires our guest.
What makes someone successful in this position?
• I really look at this with a three-prong approach.
Creative: knowing color palettes/pantone blocks, trends, what’s hot (and what’s not!), being able to create stories that guests love.
Analytical: be aware of your business numbers and cycles, being able to dig deep into trends and prepare for the next market change. Looking at weekly, monthly and year-to-date to drive those sales numbers.
Flexible: being able change your work plan for the day and being comfortable with any department in the store.
• Collaboration, seeing the big picture, teaching and showing team members the skills to become great merchandisers in their own departments. Checking the stats and see what’s working, and what’s not, and having the flexibility to new ideas and concepts.
• Organization, the ability to motivate and inspire team members and a good work ethic.
What do you like best about working at Target?
• The PEOPLE!! We have the greatest people working for and shopping at Target. You know that you will be successful when you have the best peers and team members around you. The partnership, collaboration and idea-sharing is what keeps our store running and looking great. #BestTeamAround #T1352
• The relationships and the development as a leader that I contribute to. I love being a part of the change that Target is leading in the apparel and merchandising innovation for retailers.
• I get to be a business owner, work for a reputable company and I get to work with a great team.
Target is one of the world’s most recognized brands and one of America’s leading retailers. We’re looking for team members with and an eye for design and a passion for style trends, especially in Home and Apparel. Interested? We’d love to meet you. Apply now at Target.com/careers.