I’ll be honest here. I had no intentions of working in retail pharmacy longer than I had to. When I first moved to Dallas, I went to work for Target because it made financial sense. I was going to work here for six months and then quit to go to work at the big, fancy downtown hospital. Sure, I was going to take a pay cut, but it sounded so glamorous.
So, why am I still here twelve years later? What keeps me from going to work for one of the other retailers seen on every corner in town? For the fringe benefits of course! Where else am I going to get:
- One stop shopping. It is so nice being able to pick up fresh groceries, diapers, a cute outfit for the evening, and a movie all in one place without even leaving work. Every now and then I have to go shopping somewhere else, and it is torture.
- 10% off on the coolest stuff. Remember the Missoni for Target craze? It all sold out in one day, but I was able to score an awesome shirt and even save a little money on it. Practically everything in my house came from Target, and I just love it when visitors ask, “Where did you find that?”
- People watching. The public never ceases to amaze me. Enough said.
There are a few of us in the Dallas-Fort Worth area that have been Target pharmacists for over 10 years. Here are some of the awesome responses they gave:
- Tamara said, “I must say the number one thing that keeps me here is my team. We’ve built great relationships with each other and it would be extremely hard for me to leave them.”
- Lori said, “My partner and my team” (good to know since she is my partner!)
- Becky said, “Continuing to work with teams on developing and providing a great resource to guests.”
- Cate said, “The first thing I think of is my peers. There are so many of my team members that are so much more than just that. I consider them friends as well! The support I get from them is amazing! Target sees the reason most of us became pharmacists in the first place…to take care of people.”
- And, finally, our resident comedian Derek (pictured above) said, “I love the smell of fresh popcorn and I believe there is a direct vent from the pharmacy to Food Avenue. Who could leave that?” HA!
If it isn’t evident from these responses, so many of us consider our pharmacy teams as family. I couldn’t agree more!
Interested in a healthcare career with Target? Search and apply for opportunities here.